Sunday, January 8, 2012

Masi Mia!


One week of training down! I have to admit, I am riding slightly less miles than is originally in my training schedule. I did 8 miles last sunday and about 12 today. I don't mind. Slow and steady wins the race. As long as I get to 50 miles by spring break.

Today we rode out on NE Marine Dr. It is flat and beautiful. The road follows the river and there is a nice view of Mt. Hood. There is also a bike path but the bike lane is plenty wide for comfortable riding.

I went with my froomie and her friends. I couldn't keep up with them but I didn't care, at least I was out doing it! This was my theme for the week: just show up...effort optional. Kinda lame, I know. Next week I'm going to try to dig in a bit more.


One dilemma that I think is going to be my biggest challenge is my new bike. It is a 1984 Masi Gran Criterium. (The one in the picture looks just like mine, but far better condition) It is such a cool vintage racing bike. I think it won the Tour de France in its day. It needs a lot of work, especially if I want it to fit me right. The catch is that the more work/modifications that are made to it, the less the bike is worth. As it is now. It is a classic, something that a collector would hang up in their shop. It is ridiculously cool but not that practical for riding. I mean it has stem shifters!

So I guess I need to find a high-quality used road bike and try to trade my masi. I have absolutely no time for this sort of thing...which makes paying for it to be fixed up all the more tempting. What to do...what to do....


3 comments:

  1. I think your "just show up..." theme is the best way to get started.

    At this point, the bike is yours. If you can find a way to trade it for something you like that would work better and not have to pay too much, then do that. Otherwise it might be worth just using that one. People rode the hell out of them when they were new, so why not now?

    You could list it on Craigslist as something you want to trade. Maybe on some bike sites as well. Maybe even put up some fliers around your neighborhood and at the school. Just say you are willing to trade straight across for something more modern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, that is the type of thing I don't have time for. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey sis, remember how i used to ride that old antique road bike aunt linda had given me? it had stem shifters and all the original parts...save for tires! if i can ride an old antique bike so can you! im with ryan on the trading but if it's cheaper to fix it up then do that. maybe dad could buy that off of you and give you enough to buy a newer bike??? just a thought there sis, you know how dad's always looking at bike gear. hang in there, you'll reach a decision!

    ReplyDelete